After getting your teeth whitened, you’ll have a bright, sparkling smile. Maintaining that dazzling white smile requires some effort. One important aspect of post-whitening care is watching what you eat and drink. Some foods and beverages can cause staining or discoloration, which can undo all the benefits of your treatment. In this blog, we’ll take a look at some of the things you should avoid after a teeth whitening.
- Dark-colored Beverages: Beverages like coffee, tea, and red wine are notorious for staining teeth. After teeth whitening, it’s best to avoid them altogether. If you must have your morning cup of joe, try adding a splash of milk, which can help neutralize the staining effects.
- Acidic Foods: Foods that are high in acid can contribute to tooth discoloration. Examples include citrus fruits like lemons and oranges, as well as tomato-based sauces. These acidic foods can erode tooth enamel, which makes your teeth more susceptible to staining. Try to limit your intake of these foods as best you can.
- Sugary Foods: Sugar is one of the primary culprits behind tooth decay, and can contribute to staining. Avoid sugary foods and drinks, especially those with dark pigments that can stick to your teeth. Instead, opt for healthier alternatives like fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
- Dark-Colored Sauces: Sauces like soy sauce, barbecue sauce, and balsamic vinegar can all cause staining.
- Dark-Colored Fruits: Some fruits, such as berries, can also stain teeth. While they’re packed with healthy antioxidants, they can be a problem for your smile. If you do eat dark-colored fruits, be sure to rinse your mouth with water afterward.
- Sticky Foods: Sticky foods like candy and dried fruit can cling to your teeth, causing staining and decay. These should be avoided after teeth whitening, as they can be difficult to remove from your teeth.
- Hard Foods: Lastly, hard foods like ice and hard candy can cause damage to your teeth. Chewing on hard objects can lead to cracks or chips, which can cause discoloration.
In conclusion, after teeth whitening, it’s important to be mindful of what you eat and drink. Avoiding certain foods can help maintain your bright, white smile for longer. While it may be challenging to give up some of your favorite foods, the benefits of a dazzling smile are well worth the effort. Schedule a consultation with our dental office today to learn more about our teeth whitening options.